In 2009, I met the Lazy Environmentalist, Josh Dorfman who brought our attention to the ingredients of dog treats. We checked the ingredients in Kyle’s food & treats and were shocked to see a long list of thing we did not recognize! Since then we have been buying him healthier food and treats and I started making my own simple, healthy, Kyle-approved treats.
Here’s one of his favorites: Apple Peanut Butter Dog Treats
1 chopped apple (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup peanut butter
1-1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
The amount of flour will depend on how much moisture is in the apple you use.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Chop the apple and blend in a food processor, blender or Vitamix.
3. Mix the apple and peanut butter in a bowl with a fork.
4. Add 1 cup of flour and continue mixing with a fork.
5. The dough will easily form into a ball. If the dough is too sticky, add some more flour. Do not add too much flour or the dough will crumble apart. If this happens, add a little water or a little extra peanut butter.
6. Flour your workspace and roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch.
7. Cut out treats with a cookie cutter or knife.
8. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes.
This recipe makes about 60 bones or 50 bones and 45 treat balls (which fit perfectly into Kyle’s Omega Ball, which is his absolute favorite toy!