Yesterday I bought a pumpkin muffin at Panera and, as I ate it, I thought to myself, Hemp Hearts would be a great topping for a pumpkin muffin, so as soon as I got home I baked up a batch of delicious pumpkin muffins topped with Hemp hearts!
Why did I have Hemp Hearts on my mind?
Manitoba Harvest recently sent me a bag of Hemp Hearts to try out and I found out that through November 30, 2014 they have a challenge to get creative in the kitchen with their products. You are automatically entered to win a 5lb. bag of Hemp Hearts, when you post your creation(s) and tag @manitobaharvest with the hashtags #hemphearts and #sweatpink on Twitter and/or Instagram.
I had a muffin last night and we had them again for breakfast and Pablo approved, so I’ll definitely be entering the giveaway!
Manitoba Harvest sells Hemp Protein Powder, Hemp Oil and Hemp Hearts. The Hemp Hearts are a raw vegetarian nutrient rich food with a mild nutty taste.
One tablespoon has:
- 5 grams of Omega 3 and 6
- 5 grams of protein
- 90 grams of magnesium
- And is also a source of iron, thiamin, phosphorous, manganese, zinc, folate and vitamin B6.
From a sustainability aspect, Hemp Hearts are great, because they are non-GMO and sustainable grown and harvested. Manitoba Harvest is also a Certified B Corporation which means they must meet high standards of social and environmental performance, transparency and accountability.
Check out all the Manitoba Harvest products and get 20% off your purchase through November 30, 2014 when you use the code HHSweatPink14.
Deliciously Easy Pumpkin Muffins
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp salt
2-4 tbsp Hemp Hearts
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp Hemp Hearts
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Prep your muffin pan by either lining with liners or lightly greasing.
3. In a bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt and Hemp Hearts.
4. Add eggs, pumpkin, oil and honey to the center of the bowl.
5. Mix just until the dry ingredients are absorbed (don’t over-mix).
6. Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full
7. Mix 1 tbsp brown sugar and 1 tbsp Hemp Hearts and sprinkle over each muffin.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown and skewer inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.